Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Repost: Recipe: Slow cooker chicken curry

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


Feb. 16,2011

Last week, I  shared with you how much I love my slow cooker. I'd intended to put my recipe for slow cooker chicken curry in the comments in a timely fashion, but time got away from me.

So here it is, for all who have requested it:

Ingredients:

2 1/2 - 3 tablespoons curry powder

1/2 teaspoon coriander

1 bay leaf

1/2 teaspoon allspice

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cumin

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 tablespoon minced ginger

1 can coconut milk

1 teaspoon salt (optional; I don't cook with much salt, but I hear people like the stuff)

1/2 - 1 teaspoon cayenne (optional, if you want some heat)

1 small onion, chopped

1-2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 carrot or parsnip, chopped

6-8 chicken thighs (I usually de-bone and take skin off)

Mix the first nine (or eleven) ingredients in your slow cooker. Then add your chicken and toss to cover with sauce. Top with vegetables; I usually don't toss with sauce, but you can. Cook on low about 7 hours.

Serve with pasta or rice (or rice and peas if you've got 'em).

No comments:

Post a Comment