Friday, April 12, 2013

Repost: Savory oatmeal: My new cooking obsession

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


March 9, 2011 Late last week, I was apparently the last person on Earth to finally understand that savory oatmeal is as delicious as sweet oatmeal.

Now, it's as though I can't get enough. Basically, the idea is to use steel-cut oats the same way you'd use rice with any other dish.

I felt especially silly when I Googled the concept and discovered that there are dozens of savory oatmeal recipes around. A few:

*Savory oatmeal with scallions and soy sauce

*Savory oatmeal with eggs, black pepper and cheddar

*Savory oatmeal with manchego cheese, sausage, hazelnuts and pesto

Sometime this week, I'll be making a mushroom risotto (ris-oat-o?) that is basically the same as a regular mushroom risotto, except that I'll be using steel-cut oats in place of arborio rice.

My daughter likes rice, and although she's rejected this new oatmeal formulation once, it usually takes her at least three tries before she actually likes something. I'm confident that she'll be a fan by the end of the week.

Have you ever made savory oatmeal? Are there any other ingredients or staples in your kitchen that you use in an out-of-the-ordinary way?

No comments:

Post a Comment