Monday, April 8, 2013

Repost: Slow cookers: The world's best working-mom tool

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.

Enjoy.



Feb. 9, 2011

Oh, how I love my slow cooker.

When I was a kid, I wasn't all that happy to eat food from the slow cooker. My mother and grandmother used it rarely, and when they did, it was mostly just to cook beans.

That was then, this is now.

A few years ago, I started using my slow cooker regularly and grew fond of it. Now that I'm a parent, it's absolutely indispensable.

What else frees me to chase a toddler around the house -- or go to work all day -- yet still have a balanced, delicious, home-cooked meal at dinner time? The slow cooker! All praises be to the king of kitchen devices!

I'm not as obsessed with it as the woman who once spent a year making meals only with her slow cooker, but I'm probably pretty close. I've made chicken curry (one of my specialties) in the slow cooker. I've made delicious stews, soups, and broths, of course. I've steamed fish and vegetables. One of my favorite recipes is for breakfast risotto, which allows me to make a whole week's worth of breakfast for my family in just a few mostly labor-free hours, freeing me from scrambling for something to eat in the mornings.

I've done it all without stressing about it. As a bonus, my daughter seems to appreciate it all, in large part, I think, because I tend to cook with a lot of spices anyway, and the slow cooker allows the spices to really penetrate the food quite well.

I love my slow cooker. I really, really love it. Are there any timesavers in your kitchen that you've come to find you couldn't live without? If you're as fond of the slow cooker as I am, what are your favorite recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment