Thursday, April 11, 2013

Repost: Willow Smith is coming, and I'm scared

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


March 2, 2011

I'll admit it: Willow Smith terrifies me.

This week, the new single by the child star in the making and spawn of Will and Jada hit the airwaves. It's called "21st Century Girl."

Sample lyrics: Give me an inch/ and I'll take a mile/Danger is beauty/I'll face it with a smile AND 21st century girl/I do what I like/21st century girl/I'm taking you for a ride

Check it out here:

It's fair to say that I generally find most child "stars" creepy, but 10-year-old Willow -- and by extension, her Karate Kid brother Jaden -- are creepier than most.

Willow's got the usual child star weirdness, of course. Flimsy relationship with school, check. Celebrity defenders proclaiming her brilliance and comparing her to child star par excellence (and cautionary tale) Michael Jackson, check. Parents describing her as just a normal kid when it's clear they haven't let her be that, check. Plans to remake classics of childhood, check.

Combine that with dubious-but-tolerable actual acting talent and pleasingly Auto-Tuned-to-death songs and the entire package makes me want to run for the hills. And what's more, because she has the power of her parents and some of the entertainment industry's biggest names behind her, I suspect Willow Smith is nowhere near ending her rampage through the entertainment industry, if not the world.

People, if the Smith Family juggernaut continues, Willow Smith will rule us all.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment