Thursday, May 9, 2013

Repost: How could you possibly move on after losing a child?

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


July 20, 2011

Jackie Hance has weathered the unthinkable and the nearly unbearable.

Hance's only children, her three daughters, were killed in 2009 in a crash when Hance's sister-in-law drove the wrong way on a busy New York highway. Her daughters, Emma, Alyson and Katie, were just 8, 7 and 5 years old.

I cannot imagine the pain she and her husband suffered, or their conflicting emotions when they realized that Hance's sister-in-law, who also died in the crash, had been chemically impaired while transporting their children.

Nor can I fathom how much strength it has taken her to move on with her life. I was tremendously touched by her story.

When you have a moment, please read Hance's essay about how it feels after the worst has happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment