Friday, May 17, 2013

Repost: Note to self: Toddlers repeat what they hear

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


Aug. 24, 2011

Parenting lesson No. 10,476: Toddlers are like parrots. They will repeat what you don't want them to say, probably because you don't want them to say it.

A couple of days before we traveled to my my husband's recent high school reunion, our family sat on the sofa as he reminisced about his high school days. He looked at pictures while I held our daughter.

At one point he said, "Wow, it's been a really long time."

My response was to say, jokingly, "You see that, baby? Daddy's so old."

Kiddo picked up on the last half of my statement and repeated it: "Daddy's so old."

I have to be honest; I laughed a little bit. Even my husband chuckled.

The next day, it happened again. When my husband came home from work, our beloved looked at him and said, "Daddy's so old."

We tried to ignore it.

Then she started using the not-so-magic words when she saw her father in the photographs that are at her eye level in our home.

Our wedding picture? "Daddy's so old."

A photo from a pre-kid vacation? "Daddy's so ooooold."

All because I made a little joke.

We're still ignoring it and hoping it'll end soon, but this has been my wake-up call.

No more loose lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment