Friday, May 3, 2013

Repost: Small kids and hot cars just don't mix

I've contributed to the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog since 2010. The blog is changing content management systems and my old posts will no longer be available to the public, so I'm reposting them here, in the order that they were originally posted.


June 22, 2011

It's happened again.

A small child died early this week after she was accidentally left behind in a scorching hot vehicle. This time, the child's Atlanta day-care provider was responsible, but all too often, these incidents happen because of forgetful or time-strapped parents.

Forgetful, distracted, time-strapped or sleep-deprived. Most of us with small kids fit in one of those categories every now and then, don't we?

And for some reason, deaths such as these are occurring in record numbers this year, no doubt due to the scorching hot weather. The emotional aftermath of losing one's child in this way is something I never want to experience.

Each time I read about one of these deaths, I think "Be careful, because you're not so perfect that this couldn't happen to you." So this is just a little reminder to you and me. Let's take a few seconds this summer to make sure everybody's exited our vehicles and nobody's falling through the figurative cracks. The extra few seconds could mean...well, everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment